View Single Post
      12-11-2019, 03:57 AM   #58
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Sorry about the delayed response, I've just now notice you had tagged me..

Anyways, on the subject of LSDs; I've also notice that the Porsche GT3 uses a standard locking diff, instead of their renowned torque-vectoring unit they currently offer. I believe torque vectoring is superior to a LSD in both applications.

However, It's more complex, which means more expensive and (maybe) failure prone. Racing is expensive enough as it is, I think teams don't want to deal with torque vectoring differentials at this point in time.

Whom ever at M Motorsports that writes the CS-R technical specs has decided to include a "regular" LSD to keep things simple.

Racing series will do this all the time to keep the series competitive. I tried to find a source on this but couldn't. Maybe someone else can.

I believe a racecar with a LSD would go around a corner (even a slow one) faster than a road car with torque vectoring because of the better tires and lower weight of the race car.
You missunderstood me and still missunderstand how the M diff works. (even after I explained it to you a while back in another thread ).

The M diff IS NOT TORQUE VECTORING!!!! it is VARIABLE LOCKING. These are two different things. Torque vectoring is what a Focus RS rear diff does, it can individually control how much torque goes to each rear wheel.

The M diff is variable locking so it can decide how much and when to lock "freely" compared to a normal mechanical locking diff which can only do so when the speed differential between the wheels reaches whatever preset.

Complexity/cost/rules/performance could be a reason for not including it in the CS racing.

Coming back to your original point and my question.

Where did you read that the M2 has brake based torque vectoring?

I would be curious to know if the M2 has this as I have not seen it anywhere and was part of what made my Focus RS handle great but overheat the brakes way too quickly on track.