07-09-2020, 05:04 PM   #45
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
Thanks for tip, that's a haul for me, but if it's done right, so be it.

OK on my situation, at first, the part guy was like "How do you know we put the wrong stuff in? We use your vin and put in what part numbers it pulls up."

As if the internet doesn't exist.

Anyway, I told him that the part number on the invoice is the way wrong part number for this car, being 75W90 especially. He said let me go enter your vin and check into it.

About 15 minutes goes by and both he and a manger came out and agreed the part number was wrong on the invoice. However, they said they did a count of their fluid inventory and was -1 on the correct part number, so suspected a clerical error on the invoice.

I said, "Well we have to be sure. This is a high performance piece of equipment, and I would like for you to give me the 4 quarts so that I can be sure."

The manager agreed, he couldn't guarantee one way or the other that the right fluid was in the diff. The parts guy asked why I needed 4, and I explained that I want to ensure that I flush the bad stuff out completely.

The manager agreed but he wanted to do it, in his words, "for warranty purposes."

I explained what I wanted them to do to ensure it's flushed properly, and he agreed. I also explained that I want it clearly documented why we're doing the flush for future warranty purposes, and that I want to see the bottles going in. He agreed and I am taking my car in at 0800 tomorrow.

All of that said, in regards to the other things quoted above,

I've done a bunch of googling and I get what you're saying about MSP/A, but the part number in the photos above is the part number coming up for my VIN. I'm going to let them put in the part number that comes up for my VIN for warranty purposes. I might switch it out later myself, but after some googling, I'm convinced that's the right part for US cars.

I am not so sure the bottle needs to say MSP/A on it.

Thoughts?

Here's a previous thread from here, for example.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1665392
IMO it doesn't add up, you cannot just look at the shelf and be like we are -1 on this fluid so it has to have been due to it going into your car, unless they checked their service log and you were the only one that had your diff done. It could be a total BS story, but again it is good they are willing to own up to their mistake and flush it for you.

It is up to you, but at this point I am unsure if your dealer even knows how to use the bmw etk properly seeing that they see SAF-xo linked to your vin... All I can say is you can check for yourself using bmw's etk (real oem) by putting your vin in, or look at bmw's TIS. I can tell you MSP/A will be coming up and not SAF-XJ. All the threads saying you need SAF-XJ is incorrect and based on residual information from the early days when the F8X launched (either through old forum threads or dealers that have yet to make the switch and are still making mistakes). The only acceptable fluid is MSP/A (as per bmw) which now may have had a p/n switch (still unsure).

Again when you go in for the change tomorrow check the full part number the last 3 digits is irrelevant. But then again you will be able to see the bottle so you should be fine. I personally wouldn't let them put anything but MSP/A in since I know these diffs are finicky as hell. But at the end of the day it is up to you, if the dealer doesn't have it or insisits it being some other fluid you dont have a choice. Lucky for me if I request my SA to check with parts or service to relook at the TIS or ETK they will do it without questioning me, so I have never run into an issue like this before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinHEMI View Post
I also noticed why there may be confusion about an MSP/A 992 part number.

We keep linking to the 992 part number here,

https://www.bimmerworld.com/Fluids/D...222365988.html

And you can see on the bottle it says MSP/A. However, if you zoom in on the part number, it is indeed the 988.

The link nomenclature further adds to the confusing because it has 75W90 in the link text.
Yeah that is the weird thing, bimmerworld says the p/n is 992 but the bottle still says 998 and my dealership back in 2017 had MSP/A in 988 and so does the bmw etk. IMO as long as it says MSP/A it should be fine.

But no where did it say MSP/A was 75w90 it is 75w140. The link text is just misleading, the body of the site is correct.

Last edited by F87source; 07-09-2020 at 05:19 PM..
Appreciate 0