View Single Post
      12-19-2019, 09:54 PM   #965
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Porsche, for instance, uses the same damper technology as BMW.

I disagree that magnetorheological dampers are that superior to mechanically variable dampers. We have them on our RS3 and they have their weaknesses too. Both technologies have their pros and cons.
GM's magnetic ride control is probably the best adaptive suspension I have ever used. Heard Ford has a good setup in their GT350 and now GT500. As a few have mentioned, I also hardly noticed any difference between settings in my F80. Magneride has the biggest difference between race and comfort settings. Personally I'd rather just have the option to opt out of BMW's adaptive suspension and go with a quality coilover kit. If I could have any choice of factory suspensions, I would start with a set of Multimatics(DSSV) spool valve dampers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
I have to believe if it wasn't efficient or didn't meet their high standards, BMW/GmBH engineers would of discontinued offering it a long time ago.
It probably has more to do with Delphi(now owned by BWI) invented the tech and BMW would have to pay up to use it. Ferrari did just that and have been using magnetic damper tech for years.

Last edited by DieGrüneHölle; 12-19-2019 at 10:12 PM..
Appreciate 0