12-18-2019, 09:23 PM   #947
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I don't see these things as black or white, but rather a progressive scale of greys.

The CS series is not intended as all out track cars. They are intended to be dual use cars: practical daily drivers and track toys with slightly more bias towards track performance. The GTS (CSL in the future) series are intended primarily as track toys that can be driven to and from the track.

A true coil-over suspension will indeed offer better track performance due to greater adjustability of various rebound and compression adjustments, but at the expense of greater complexity. Not everyone is able to extract the best out of manually adjustable dampers. I have the MP-HAS on my M4cs, so I would argue that it is possible to fine tuning ride height and corner balancing with AD. I actually tuned the handling balance of my car by playing with the front and rear ride heights. Further, coil-overs also come at the expense of durability. Based on personal experience and shared experiences from track buddies, coil-over dampers require an overhaul after 2-3 season to remain at their best. The adaptive dampers on the ///Ms that I have owned still performed flawlessly after 70,000~90,000 km of ownership, which included well over 100 track day on each car.

From a track performance standpoint, coil-overs are the superior option, followed by the adaptive dampers and then followed by the static dampers. Fitting the M2cs with adaptive dampers is the right "engineering choice" given the M2cs' intended mission.
Yep, this is spot on.

I'm going to speculate a bit. Looking at the M2 racecar at €95k no one seemed to think it was overly expensive. This was the detuned version. I suspect another €15k for the hotter 450hp version. If we can reasonably assume that the racecar is nearly the lightest spec that you gen get. Logic would place an enthusiast track focuses CSL/GTS significantly pricier than the CS since it would closely represent the racecar. Would all the forum members jump at the opportunity to drive a M2 street legal racecar for North of $100K US? Clearly it is not cheap to make a reliable racecar. My guess is that the cost is increasing drastically to outfit the system to reliably take abuse. Im not interested in GTS, but I'm curious how much forum members would spend on one?
Appreciate 0