12-11-2019, 08:19 PM   #252
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Camber potential of the CS is tbd. Not expecting miracles (because BMW), but plates might not offer a substantial single lap time advantage over the max CS stock setting. Better tire wear, of course.

A 39 bhp boost (+10%) is not inconsequential to lap times, in my experience. IMSA BoP adjustments are regularly in the 5-10 bhp range. And speculative, but guessing +39 bhp is a conservative figure.

I'm not sure why the enhanced aero of the CS is being overlooked or dismissed. The front end is almost a replica of the Racing, and the CS vented hood is added downforce and cooling. The Gurney flap doesn't look like much, but its benefits are proven on numerous platforms since the 70’s.

The carbon hood, roof, and trunk do indeed lower the center of gravity.

Based upon the data I've found, the CS front wheels are 4.9 lbs. lighter per corner than the C's. And rear wheels 4.4 lbs. lighter per corner. 245 section Cup 2 save 1 lb. vs. 245 PSS, so 5.4 lbs. overall per front corner.

(This would kick it out of the apples to apples comparison, but spec the carbon ceramics in combination with the lighter CS wheels and unsprung weight savings become really substantial vs. the C.)

Have they broke the mold with the CS? Certainly not. But doesn't seem they're delivering BS for the extra $, and that seems to be the popular take here.

Meaningful power boost, uprated dampers (including a track-focused setting), wheels & tires, brakes, legit aero, superior cooling and track durability, some nice interior bits. I’ve seen worse.

To me the better question is – throw your camber plates on the CS for a few hundred and stabilize tire wear, is the CS far off of the equally more expensive 718 GT4 around a typical circuit? Not according to Sport Auto findings. It’s closer to the GT4 than the C is to the CS. Doesn’t make it a bargain, but on lap times alone it’s not a rip off by modern German standards. And that’s before experiential gains are considered, any “CS” value advantage, etc.
The areo on the CS is not groundbreaking…a bit of difference but not much. There is not enough downforce generated from the areo. May be a bit more stable at very high speed like 200km/h+ that's all.

The wheels on the CS is already option on the C

Lower of gravity from carbon roof? I will give you that but already an option on the C

Carbon hood? Probably makes a bit of difference in reducing understeer but already an option on the C

Carbon trunk? Not on the CS and already a dealer option on the C

Power delta: 40hp after drivetrain loss is not much. Look at the videos on youtube between the C and M3CP/M4CP racing on the straight. Difference is negligible. They both have the same peak torque and only after 6000rpm there is a more tangible difference between the two.

The intrinsic value of the CS lies in the no mods required to have fun + full warranty domain.

The CS is by no means a full on track car like the GTS where as with Cambers + dampers + springs mods on the C there are a lot more options to get that optimum setting to go fast so that is my premise that with the right settings it will net a faster lap time on most tracks.
Appreciate 0