12-11-2019, 09:29 AM   #251
FormulaMMM
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
Because the power delta is minimal and both cars have effectively the same chassis at a similar weight.

It all comes down to tyres, dampers and springs. Why won't the C corner faster with camber plates + M suspension in the right setting?
Camber potential of the CS is tbd. Not expecting miracles (because BMW), but plates might not offer a substantial single lap time advantage over the max CS stock setting. Better tire wear, of course.

A 39 bhp boost (+10%) is not inconsequential to lap times, in my experience. IMSA BoP adjustments are regularly in the 5-10 bhp range. And speculative, but guessing +39 bhp is a conservative figure.

I'm not sure why the enhanced aero of the CS is being overlooked or dismissed. The front end is almost a replica of the Racing, and the CS vented hood is added downforce and cooling. The Gurney flap doesn't look like much, but its benefits are proven on numerous platforms since the 70’s.

The carbon hood, roof, and trunk do indeed lower the center of gravity.

Based upon the data I've found, the CS front wheels are 4.9 lbs. lighter per corner than the C's. And rear wheels 4.4 lbs. lighter per corner. 245 section Cup 2 save 1 lb. vs. 245 PSS, so 5.4 lbs. overall per front corner.

(This would kick it out of the apples to apples comparison, but spec the carbon ceramics in combination with the lighter CS wheels and unsprung weight savings become really substantial vs. the C.)

Have they broke the mold with the CS? Certainly not. But doesn't seem they're delivering BS for the extra $, and that seems to be the popular take here.

Meaningful power boost, uprated dampers (including a track-focused setting), wheels & tires, brakes, legit aero, superior cooling and track durability, some nice interior bits. I’ve seen worse.

To me the better question is – throw your camber plates on the CS for a few hundred and stabilize tire wear, is the CS far off of the equally more expensive 718 GT4 around a typical circuit? Not according to Sport Auto findings. It’s closer to the GT4 than the C is to the CS. Doesn’t make it a bargain, but on lap times alone it’s not a rip off by modern German standards. And that’s before experiential gains are considered, any “CS” value advantage, etc.

Last edited by FormulaMMM; 12-11-2019 at 09:36 AM..
Appreciate 4
cptobvious2531.50
Sedan_Clan25116.50
MDuckie94.50
Got f1?681.00