View Single Post
      08-19-2019, 09:18 AM   #274
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obioban View Post
I think a 3rd year of production C8 is very likely in my future (give them two years to work the bugs out). Likely a yellow on tan 3LT grand sport.

Why do you want that, though?

The Chevy LS/LT engines are more reliable than BMW engines of the same power output
The Chevy LS/LT engines are lighter than BMW engines of the same power output
The Chevy LS/LT engines are more compact than BMW engines of the same power output (valve covers on the C8 are below the top of the tires!)
The Chevy LS/LT engines get similar fuel economy than BMW engines of the same power output
The Chevy LS/LT engines are easier to modify/maintain than BMW engines of the same power output
The Chevy LS/LT engines are cheaper to replace/repair the BMW engines of the same power output.
The Chevy LS/LT engines have better throttle response than BMW Turbo engines

Change for the sake of change is silly. The LS/LT engines are light, cheap, powerful, compact, efficient, responsive, and have a broad powerband.

People often like to talk about how pushrods are old tech. Admittedly, it is-- first pushrod engine came out in 1904. That said, dual overhead cam engines first came out in 1912-- so while it IS newer... do we care about 1904 vs 1912?
Yeah, I think I'm just in a much different place than most of you guys. I've done cross-plane cranked V8s to death over the years, modded the hell out of all of them, and assuming I'm limited to 1-3 cars, they're just played out for me. Then again, ask me in a year and I might change my mind! After all, I do I have a short attention span

Seriously, I don't dispute all/most of your statements. I'm not a Chevy or BMW fanboy (the M2c being my first, and likely last BMW unless they quit adding weight and nonsense to all of their cars)...rather, it's the experience for me at this point.

If I scrape together the time and money to do that resto-mod I've been lusting after, an LS is 100% a potential power source. I'd also like to see how the GT500 plays out and its viability as a crate motor. Would i consider BMW, VW/Audi or any "modern" ish engine? No way in hell for many reasons you mention, and then some.
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50