View Single Post
      08-29-2016, 08:39 PM   #489
chambolle
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1995 M3 coupe; 2017 M2

My M2 was slated for production week of August 21. Inquired today about status, and was told I will hear back in a day or two. I assume my date has been pushed out a few weeks by now.

Word is that BMW determined the differential issue is not 'safety related' and thus the cars will be produced, shipped and released without an upgraded LSD. I was told there are insufficient parts available to keep up with scheduled production and install the LSD upgrade; but should expect to have the requisite upgrade at my 1200 mile 'check up' visit to dealer service.

This calls to mind an issue with the 5-speed manual on the very first production of the E36 M3 - the difference being BMW had a service bulletin on that problem and an easy fix, but did not advise owners, as they have with this LSD issue. Dozens of blown engines resulted from missed shifts during ordinary highway driving within the first few months after the rollout.

BMW tried to tell folks (including me) they had no liability and blamed 'driver error/overrev incident.' A little birdie slipped me a copy of the BMW TSB on the shift linkage defect and hinted that if I beat the bushes a bit I would find lots of similar 'driver error' blown engine incidents. Then a bunch of us M3 owner-attorneys got our heads together and told BMW to expect a lawsuit tout de suite, to include a prayer for treble damages and attorney fees. Within a day or two, I was given a loaner and a new engine and various drivetrain components were en route from Munich and scheduled for no charge installation.

The car was reasonably trouble free thereafter, other than some other 'known issues' like the plastic impeller water pump. Those in the know replaced that with a Stewart stainless upgrade early on. Alas, I was not in the know and when my pump failed and supernovaed in rather spectacular fashion, after the warranty expired of course, I heard for the first time: 'oh yeah, known issue with those cheap plastic water pumps.' Coulda saved a grand or so in towing and cooling system repairs had someone let me in on the secret sooner.

Seems BMW has at least decided disclosure is better than concealment where these issues are concerned. That's a good thing.
Appreciate 3
Chuck W.356.00
ried791.50
Destroya371.00