View Single Post
      01-02-2019, 02:54 AM   #45
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.M0NSTER View Post
Hi all, new here as well. I did ~15 or so track days in a modified Mustang before moving to Germany for work and getting an M2. I am also interested in this thread as having a single setup which work for street and track would be awesome, but my experiences with the slightly heavier and more powerful Mustang tell me otherwise.

I've used Raybestos and Carbotech/GLOC pads before. For the track on Max performance summer tires (Pirelli PZero and Bridgestone S04) I had great results with Carbotech XP8/10 combo. Almost no fade and 6+ track days per set. When I went to extreme performance summer tire (Hankook Ventus R-S3) I switched to Carbotech 10/12 combo. I was able to gain on Porsches and Corvettes in the brake zones.

But on heavier cars brake temps and fade are an issue. The XP10s were good to 1400F and I did overheat them a few times (shudder). The XP12s were solid to 2000F so no fade ever, but a set lasted 3 track days.

The BMW is a bit lighter (3450lbs in MT variant vs 3610lbs) and has ~50 less HP than the Mustang. Plus it has larger 2-piece rotors front and rear. I would stipulate that on the same day at the same track they brake temps of the bimmer would be lower, but has anyone checked brake temps at the track?

I ask because something like the Ferodo 2500 start loosing friction around 1100F, and I'm curious what people here have observed before I decide on next set of pads. Thanks!
If you’re halfway quick (sounds like you are), a hybrid pad won’t work for the M2. The OEM blue brakes already get too hot and dumps that heat into the fluid and pads.

I cracked a front set of DS2500s (with the AP BBK) at Watkins Glen once a dry line started to form and I could get into the brakes 7-8/10s. 9-10/10s, not a chance. The DS2500 is a great street pad, tho.

My recommendation is a dedicated track pad like the PFC 08 or 11.
Appreciate 2
5.M0NSTER3359.50
Karlosm2c290.50