View Single Post
      05-08-2020, 12:30 PM   #96
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by David.m View Post
I recently installed Ohlins R&T and it seems to have cured this problem, the violent rebound was something I would experience pretty much every serious country drive and could be truly scary at speed mid corner. As it was explained to me by a guy who tarmac rallies his M2C, stock rear has only 8-10mm of compression before the bumpstop comes into play, even hard cornering on a flat road will hit the bumpstop.

It's a large bumpstop and obviously designed to compress & absorb impact but I wonder how much testing they do on bad roads, doing laps of the Ring (provided you stay on the bitumen) or driving autobahns you'll never experience the bad rebound. Maybe the oem set-up is relying too much on the bumpstop and not the spring to slow compression as the limit approaches.

My Ohlins spring rates are 78Nm front & 160Nm rear, they are stiffer than the oem springs but the ride is a lot smoother, really noticeable over bad roads where now the car stays quite flat compared to before when it would be up/down and I'd be moving side to side in driver seat. Our Covid restrictions eased so I did a 400km country drive a few days ago, 1st with the Ohlins and I don't think I bottomed out in rear once, certainly didn't feel like I did which is a 1st for those roads in the M2.
I can go back and check the Ohlins thread, but do you have any noise issues? There were quite a few people with complaints that seem to finally have been resolved. The thread made me a little hesitant to go with Ohlins R&T, honestly.
Appreciate 0