01-05-2020, 04:53 PM   #51
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
You would have to know sales if the turbo 4 to know if it worked out for Porsche or not.

Yes, you are correct.

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...orsche-cayman/

http://carsalesbase.com/us-car-sales...e/porsche-911/

Anecdotally, the 718 Cayman & Boxster haven't sold very well at all. In fact, according to the Internet and enthusiast forums, the 718 have sold exactly 3 cars worldwide because of that GOD-AWFUL-SUBARU-ENGINE!!!

But, sales figures that you can find online don't seem to suggest that is the case. There is some stagnation in sales numbers, but then you have to ask "why?"

The Internet will tell you that it's because of that GOD-AWFUL-SUBARU-ENGINE!!! But, think about the typical car buyer who walks onto a car lot... has he/she done 300 hours of research? Does he know or care about 4 banger versus 6? It's all we talk about, because we're all enthusiasts. But, we probably represent 1% of the population. As I'd mentioned before, Product Managers tend to ignore the vast majority of what "enthusiasts" have to say, because a) all they do is complain about random stupid s***, and b) they're an incredibly vocal / annoying community, but they're tiny, and don't represent much in the way of potential revenue.

You can see from the second link, the sales figures for the 911, that there's some plateau'ing going on as well. So, why have 911 sales plateau'ed? It must be because of that GOD-AWFUL-SUBARU-ENGINE!!!

Or... consumers are moving toward cross-overs and SUVs. 1% of the buyer population knows / cares about the 4 versus 6 thing. 50% of the buyer population is moving toward cross-overs and SUVs. I suspect that's why Cayman and Boxster sales are down.

And, if Cayman & Boxster sales were truly down because of the 4 versus 6 thing, Porsche would reintroduce an NA6 across all trims, wouldn't they? What does it say that they're only reintroducing the NA6 to a trim that is going to sit ABOVE the current GTS? That would seem to indicate the re-introduction is about price discrimination.

(Sorry for the long-winded post. I do a lot of this sort of stuff in my real life job. Most of the time for software companies. So, when we gouge the s*** out of you and steal every single penny you have so that you can use our software, these are the techniques I teach to these Fortune 100 software companies.)
Appreciate 1
Poochie9103.00