Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by neo871 View Post
@MR.

Do you have any info on whether MPE will be reapproved in the EU? What about other EU manufacturers, like Akra - will they no longer be able to get TUV certifications for their products?
No news right now. BMW wants to redesign the exhaust for the EU market but that means no BT remote and it is not allowed to be louder than the normal exhaust... That is the only way to make it compliant and TUV approved in Germany!

You could say "Yeah but what about the other European countries". I could easily see BMW just making it compliant for Germany and then sell it everywhere else in the EU not having to deal with the issues of having different versions on stock. One exhaust for everyone in the EU that is compliant. They did the same when they introduce that little red button in the trunk. Also only intended for the German market after complaints by the TUV I believe.

Other manufacturers will only get TUV when their products are TUV. It counts for every single product that you could think of. From lowering springs to exhausts and from suspension kits to wheels! All need TUV approval and many need a renewed approval. You can easily see how much work that currently costs.

The tuners are dealing with major issues selling TUV approved parts. For the development of new parts they need time, a lot more time than normal to make sure they are TUV approved since the TUV has got a certain amount of availability. The bigger brands go first and then the tuners, so then you know why it takes longer.

I honestly believe that companies like Akrapovic, Eisenmann, Hamann, Capristo, etc will all develop a slip-on kit for the car that is sold in the EU market. It is by far the easiest to develop and sell dealing with the OPF and getting the product to market earlier.

Of course, I do not have any confirmation of that yet, but it feels the most logical. Other than that they could develop a full exhaust for the other worldwide markets. If so then it allows European markets to sell a non-compliant full catback system to European owners with the remark that they need to do a tune on their car to deal with the OPF removal. Of course, it depends if a tune is required, but I wouldn't be amazed that it does.

Personally, I would not easily see a manufacturer creating a new full catback exhaust including the OPF. That would be too expensive to develop and sell I think, also because the market is relatively small for this product.

Time will tell what will happen. I will have updates for you guys in October, not earlier. You will see some things happening with my car that will help you answering this question, but I cannot comment on these now.

MR
Appreciate 0