Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssquared View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by M2C89 View Post
I'm on the fence about getting an extended warranty.
What do you guys think?
Never.
BMW knows the odds of something breaking better than you and they price the warranty accordingly. They are making a profit on it so most people who are buying it are losing. They are capitalizing off of the asymmetry if information they have vs what we have.
Warranty is like insurance. It's to cover you for losses you can't afford to cover yourself. If you can afford an M2 you can afford repairs in the unlikely event that you'll have an issue.
I guess that you're overlooking the human factor. AFAIK, BMW itself and your dealership are even more appreciative about customers that walk the extra mile by getting extended warranty. If a car got extended warranty, it's usually mentioned on the worksheets each time the car is serviced (but customers normally don't get to see those docs). Beware: even with extended warranty a lot of things remain uncovered. But, it could be of influence for eventual commercial gestures granted by BMW to a dealer in favor of a customer (courtesy deals: repairs that are normally not covered, but they fix you a deal for parts and/or labor - less questions asked).

Though you may think that this aspect is arbitrary, it has value. You can use it as argument: "OK, you tell me that there is no warranty for this issue, but I'm an extended warranty customer - please ask BMW to fix me a deal."
Never thought about that. I mean with the warranty expiring after 36,000 miles that does leave us out in no mans land pretty quickly. I can see the people at the dealership being more inclined to help if I've spent more money with them, that's human nature. Good on you to recognize that. Then again, one might say you've "pre-paid" for the repairs in an event like that as well. Damn. I can see a compelling argument both for, and against.

I don't plan to do any tuning modifications to the car. I do plan to add an intake and exhaust and some other cosmetic things here and there. I'm thinking it may not be worth it.
Appreciate 0