07-21-2016, 05:11 PM   #7
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmzanatta View Post
This is based on my own personal experience and preference and should by no means be taken as fact:

I would not get the film done if you're going to be driving it through the winter for the reason I stated in my previous post. I had a really bad experience like that once, and it was not covered under warranty because it's not a salt protection film - it's for chips and scratches. I ended up with rust spots in areas where salt got trapped under and it was just awful. Now, this was a few year back, so who knows, maybe the tech is better now.

I prefer putting a coating on the car, as it helps keep the snow, ice, etc. from sticking to the car, which IMHO, works out better overtime compared to film but you don't get chip protection - if a paint chip will give you a heart attack, this is not the option for you. I also spray down the car in my garage everyday that the build up is bad and minimum twice per week regardless. Use luke warm water, low pressure and gently just let it melt off the snow and ice and wash away the nasty stuff.
I think the tech is better now especially after reading through the detailed thread about xpel ultimate install. Plus if your shop takes out the grill and the badge and the side gills etc. and does a seamless install on the hood it should eliminate the potential for salt etc. to get stuck underneath.
Appreciate 0