View Single Post
      01-05-2021, 06:00 PM   #30
TrentMeister
Colonel
Rep
Drives: g82 comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
Warning: this post won't be popular with everyone and I'm playing a little devils advocate...Here are my random thoughts.

Nowadays people are spending gobs of money just to stop from getting a few rock chips or to make it easier to wash and dry their car by 15 minutes.

Full disclosure: That guy is me. I've done full PPF before, spent $11,000 on it. All the goodies....car sat in garage as I drove it 900 miles and then sold it after a year.....Whose faught was that? Mine yes I know.

Is all this stuff worth it? I will be the first to argue a good detailer is worth their weight in gold....but from new?

My best full correction / coating / detail results come after many years of enjoyment and driving. Taking my tired beloved and making it look new again...there is a tremendous amount of value there.

So now I'm asking myself whatever happened to the good ole wash and wax and do it again? Back when cocaine Charlie bought his white Countach in 1984 do you think he did anything any different?

It's like everyone owns a super car and is afraid to drive it and get a rock chip or a scratch. I know I know, the M2 CS is our super car. I get it.

Me personally, I'm so back and forth as how to handle this M2 CS. My detailer is one of the best in the country. I've had him do everything from a full wrap on a new car, on a used car, corrected a classic BMW for me (actually about 6 of them) and coated them. His work is second to none IMHO and I have full trust and faith in him.

I've considered a full wrap, full front, bumper only, just a correction and coating and now I'm considering doing it myself. Polish and wax and sealant.

So the level of detail is ranging from about $11,000 to $100 for supplies.

So my question is...who out there is going to DIY clean it up from the dealer and wax it themselves?

There is also a satisfaction of not letting a car "own you" and "you owning the car" so to speak. Should we really worry about a rock chip or two. A micro scratch or two?

With that said, I might still have a full wrap done or DIY clean it and maintain it. Mental gymnastics are exhausting but I can't be the only one going thru this.

I do think the car is going to be a long term car for me. Probably 5 years plus. But do I really want to save it for the next guy?

Thoughts?
Who's your detailer?
Appreciate 0