03-19-2024, 10:20 AM   #6
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by pomsaeng View Post
Appreciate the post OP. I too have been having similar thoughts. BMW isn’t the brand I remember. I thought the F80 M3 CS was going to be my last stop until I had the opportunity to purchase the F87 M2 CS.

There’s something about the feel and design elements of the “G” generation (all of them) that does not resonate with me personally. I’ve driven several of the cars and will admit that the technology and innovations are great and I can see why others enjoy it; however, it’s not for me. It’s strange. When I express my opinion, I’ve been accused of being a Luddite, narrow-minded, etc. Perhaps having a conviction could ostensibly be misinterpreted as being closed-minded, but I don’t shun others for having a different than my own, especially on subjective measures such as design and feel.

Who knows? Maybe the “H” generation (speculating that’s the next chassis prefix) will be different. We will wait and see.
I think the younger generation is fascinated by pure capability on drag times and track times. I will admit, I got roasted online back in the day (in my 20s) for saying the E46 M3 I purchased was too slow coming out of a modded C5 Z06.

As I’ve grown, mostly older, and no have driven cars much faster than that Z06, I realize the extra speed is practically unusable in real life, unless you’re tracking or have special privileges or even recklessness to push these cars on Public roads. I think the OG M2 is faster than needed for daily use. I couldn’t have imagined that 800-1,000HP electric cars at 2.5-3 tons would be in the hands of drivers way less qualified than myself, and I’m just slightly above average on the track days I’ve done.

I find myself driving my 2024 GLI 6MT most days, as I can actually extract all power from it through 3rd gear on the highway without endangering myself or others and be within a reasonable margin of the speed limit. The CS is way more fun to drive at 8/10, but I have to limit myself much more in a car that capable.

Going to watch the video now, thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 3
Hedoniste3838.00
Davil6570.50
F87EVO4050.50