View Single Post
      07-05-2021, 11:37 PM   #21
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6CylindersEveryDay View Post
They remind me of the Hi-Fi audio people who claim a $300 DAC is as good as a well reviewed $2,000 DAC just because of one output noise measurement. I'm assuming it's often because they can't afford it. When I was poor starting out after college I just thought about how awesome it will be some day to have money to buy nice stuff, I didn't try to convince myself that more expensive things were always just a rip off. Of course some things are a rip off, but the M2 CS is worth every one of my hard earned dollars.
Man I do not want to turn this into an audio thread so I won't reply further on audio (but feel free to PM)... but I think that analogy is wrong and it's actually the reverse with audio electronics most of the time. People buy them and of course they sound good, because they just paid a ton for it. Witnessed this once with a piece of defective hardware even.

I'm an engineer that happens to design DACs and ADCs for far more demanding purposes than audio, and I have deep experience with the "high end" audio electronics industry. I have also designed audio DACs and ADCs. I'm not going to give you a specific price, but know that diminishing returns is very real with these parts. It's not as big of a scam as cables, but privately the designers who aren't nuts will admit things you probably don't want to know.

On the CS, I think people complain not because the entire package isn't worth the price, but because it's easy to see that the price has had a large jump but you don't see commensurate changes to the bill of materials cost. Clearly the CS models are higher margin for BMW and that's fine, the top model always is, for everything.
Appreciate 3
smknjoe234.00