08-31-2020, 07:37 AM   #16
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Not an N55 owner so wont comment on oil consumption but,

LL-04 spec is for particulate filter cars, something about the oil additives not damaging the OPF/DPF. Hence why its prob not available in the USA from BMW.

The oil level sensor in the car seems to be very sensitive to the levelness of the car. I have gotten differing readings within 50-100km of each other. Makes me worried about adding oil and I think I may have overfiled it before (only 200ml or so).

BMW themselves say that M engines can consume up to 1.5L of oil per 1000km!

"Because of their increased power output and torque, M engines have a maximum permissible oil consumption of 1.5 l/1000 km."

https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/f...fluids/2v3QS5F
Funny that BMW, Bimmerworld, and other groups give similar metrics for acceptable oil burn. I don't know anyone burning that much oil! Maybe it helps with Ferrari style oil burn cheating.

I'm going to give the Red Line Euro 5W-40 a shot. I know it's LL-04, but it has better specs than 300V and the other Red Line oils, and if it creates less "soot" all the better.

I haven't read anything anywhere accept hearsay that the differences in metals/additives would have any impact on a non-OPF/DPF car. It's what Bimmerworld uses in their race cars and I'll be changing the oil every 5K or so anyways, so should be fine.
Appreciate 0