View Single Post
      12-13-2019, 11:08 AM   #693
Conissah
Major
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I understand the depreciating asset conundrum. If we were all wise and lacked emotion we would invest all of our income to build wealth. Build wealth for what??? So my kids can live a lavish debt free lifestyle after my death? So I can start spending my money in the last few years of good health? What if your health declines early, go through divorce, etc. You have to live a little along the way.

By no means am I saying this is the right way. It's just my way and I'm happy with the balance.
That's why I spend what I spend. I grew up with my parents making great money, but they live in a modest home, my Dad still drives the same Nissan Hardbody he bought 10 years ago for $1000, and my mom drives a newer Corolla. They never splurge, and have been working since they were both 15. Now my Dad is in his 60s and isn't able to do fun stuff due to back problems, but he has money in the bank, but for what...? I've lost a lot of friends and I'm only 23, so I live by the "can't take it with you when you're gone" motto. As long as I'm saving putting 30-40% away for my retirement, I will spend the rest.
Appreciate 1
MDuckie93.00