View Single Post
      02-12-2019, 08:30 AM   #57
Big boi m5
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 135i

I have SMG III, so I can't speak for SMG II but I had ridden in it back in the day.

SMGII could do this thing where you'd jerk back and forth at idle speed, really violent and pathetic looking.

The SMG also isn't smooth shifting like ZF8. In fact BMW has attached the giant slush box to the ZF8 solely to ensure the idle at stop lights was smooth.

Anyone complaining about SMG should first consider that. That's pretty pathetic, BMW obviously has to do what sells, and so many normal idiots in leases cars demanded smooth idles that you have all that added weight solely to appease them. They do not care about that. Shameful display.

But SMG is technically an H pattern getrag with a pump, similar to what BMW uses in its actual race cars. No, real SMGs like in a motorcycle are not H pattern, but BMW and Ferrari have both used SMG H pattern sequentials with pumps for racing applications and still do.
Porsche as well.

The Hatred of the SMG is just another example of the ignorant plebeians buying a race transmission and being confused about why it doesn't crawl forward when they lift the brake at a stop light.

Anyone shitting on the SMG without having driven it is simply listening to the average moron complain his cars auto didn't work right, that he broke it out of ignorance, called it unreliable and then got rid of it when his lease was up.

My car's SMG went 100k miles with only a clutch replacement.

Most people drive it like a torque converter auto and get mad when it doesn't respond like one. If you are just slamming on the gas and shifting your throttle input will interfere with the computer and slow the whole thing down.

The easiest way to make it happy without going into detail is simply lift the throttle a hair when you downshift and suddenly you're experiencing lightning fast shifts that are much smoother than the ZF6/8 which is only really good at low speed stoplight shifting.

DCT is good when it guesses your shift correctly, if not it's a slower shift. They also have the problem of being heavy. I've not heard of one being in an actual racing environment since the 80s and of course a homemade M4 GT4.

SMG is simply too GOAT to be sold to the masses. Even CVTs fake shifts in Honda's to make it feel more normal for the average idiot.

SMG died (for production vehicles, very alive in racing) because it wasn't a slush box auto. Shame on anyone who bad mouths it based on the average rubes opinion.

Enjoy your slushbox M5 Bimmerpost, you deserve it! You also deserve your slushbox M3 and slushbox future! You chose this and reinforce it by posting that the SMG ruins the CSL! What a joke, your borderline race car came with a race car transmission and ruined it....
Appreciate 3
///M Houbi1653.00
MDuckie93.00