View Single Post
      10-15-2018, 09:27 AM   #25
Cavpilot2k
Chief Warrant Officer
Rep
Drives: like a damn lunatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc89 View Post
Pretty sure the flagging happens automatically when they hook it up to a diagnostic computer so It's completely out of the dealerships control.

I have a friend who went in with a M3CS transmission flash on his DCT M3 and it was auto flagged and now he's got no warranty on the tranny. Had nothing to do with the dealership, it was auto flagged by bmwag.

Also dinan is factory warrantied (or at least has a matching factory warranty) so in your case it really wouldn't matter. If you had any other brand of tune or flash the outcome of that may have been very different.
Dinan is NOT factory warrantied. They simply offer a matching warranty in case BMW won't cover a related repair. Once upon a time they had a closer relationship and BMW gave Dinan the "keys" to unlock the DMEs, but that is no longer the case and hasn't been for several years.

Again, my car was flashed at the dealership, so there's no way "BMW" doesn't know my car is tuned. Now maybe they just said that the transmission is separate from, and unrelated to an engine flash, so there is no conflict, but I have heard of some dealerships (illegally, but who can fight them) voiding a car's entire warranty even for unrelated systems (like voiding a warranty for an aftermarket exhaust, which is not legal in the US).

So, I understand how the warranty voiding and flagging works in theory, but in my experience, it can be far less draconian than it is made out to be based on the dealership. YMMV, but I feel confident based on my case (a complete manual transmission replacement under warranty for a known tuned car) that there are workarounds.

But if it is a serious concern, you should have a serious talk with your service manager before making modifications and get a "no BS" answer from them.
Appreciate 2
COChris888.50
FSociety3812.50