View Single Post
      05-21-2016, 11:27 PM   #228
OrangeCrush
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #513/740

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrat 2 View Post
Here is a quick summary. For context my M2 is a DCT with no performance mods. Also noteworthy was that I was coming off of a 2013 135is with DCT and with substantially modified suspension. I was at the autobahn cc south track with the Windy City BMW club.

1. Faster accelerating than the 135is but not dramatically so.
2. Handling is far superior even considering that my 135 had aftermarket suspension and tires. The M2 is balanced, firm, and very tossable yet easy to control if you get a little looser than you had planned.
3. There is very little understeer despite the staggered setup. All my previous BMWs I've squared up with aftermarket wheels and tires. Once the factory mpss tires are spent I may reduce the stagger from 2 sizes to 1 but it's arguable as to whether that is required. Turn in is quick and wear on the outer front edge of the front tire is only slightly higher than on the rear.
4. The mpss tires work very well. They were singing virtually all of every session but they held up fine. I'll replace with something stickier once worn but no reason to spend the cash before then.
5. The tpms system needs a bypass track mode switch. After each session I would come in and adjust the hot tire pressures. I had reduced them down to about 35 hot. After cooling and at the start of the next session after half a lap the sensor indicated that the pressure as low. It then inhibited the throttle, the shifts were slowed, and the dsc was enabled. I had to heat the tires up, come into the pit, reset the tpms, and then come back out. All was fine after that. This only happened once.
6. Brakes held up fine. I'd like some more grip but most importantly they never faded and were always there. After 6 session there is plenty of pad.
7. 6.5 mpg.
8. The software tune on the DCT is far inferior to that on the 135is. The 135is was telepathic and lightning fast. The m2 is not. If you lift slightly for an instant, while in D, under hard acceleration and at high revs the 135 DCT would up shift. Not on the m2. Sequential mode is laggy. Up shift or downshift and the trans takes a moment to respond. The 135 was instantaneous. Finally, the firmness of the shifts is comparatively soft.
9. I didn't realize that sport plus did not deactivate dsc. So just enable it and ignore the sport and sport plus setting because they are overridden by the dsc setting.

This car is very quick on the track. I was only .6 seconds slower than an m4 with sport cups on and faster than most other cars in my run group. A Porsche and highly modded cars were the only thing that seemed to be able to easily take me on.

That's all for now.
#8. When you turn DSC off it reverts throttle to the sport setting so I am wondering if it also changes the DCT tune to sport. Shifting is a lot better in sport+ but then your stuck in MDM mode. I think I heard that there is a Euro MDM tune/coding that makes it less intrusive, where can we get that? I'm also wondering if there is a way to code DSC off while in sport+?
VO BMW 1M
Appreciate 0