View Single Post
      12-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #17
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalMK View Post
It's more about the feel. For example, the new M5. Is it fast? Certainly. Is it engaging? Probably not. And for the lap times, there are a lot of variables, driver, weather, tire temperature, etc.
I totally agree about the feel thing and that does go a long way. The M2 is no doubt more buttoned down and connected. The M235/240 is like a GT car in comparison. When I first got my M235, the front and rear axles felt at odds with one another. The front was under-tired but sprung and damped well and the rear was somewhat loose and bouncy. The car came with MPSS tires (225 front/245 rear). I added a square wheel and 245 MP4S setup. Added the MP LSD and 30% stiffer Dinan springs in the rear to control roll and bounce. Holy hell the difference and gone is the excessive front tire shoulder wear. It's almost like BMW intentionally neutered the chassis to validate the M2 costs. We have to remember, the M235 was quicker on the Ring than the stellar 1M in BMW's own testing.

The thing that bugs me the most now are the rear subframe bushings/mounts. They're too soft and you can feel the movement under heavy load. The M2 has solid subframe mounts which is awesome. Even with fixes to the rear subframe, my M235 won't feel as buttoned down as a M2 N55, but I would bet it's just as fast/quick on a track.

As for the lap times, the test I'm referring to was done on the same track and with the same drivers. I was actually surprised at how close the two cars were. I also understand that as the laps pile on, the M2 gets further and further ahead.

The OP's M235 looks pretty stock and he was running stretched all season performance tires. That would explain some things. I guess my point is you can improve the M235 pretty easily with some well chosen mods that aren't overly expensive and get it within swinging distance of the M2 all the while being a bit more refined on the street. It still won't have the sexy body though.
qnet681.50