01-03-2016, 04:35 PM   #51
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer View Post
Ok.

I READ this first in C and D OR R and T a Loooooonnnggggg time ago and the memory was triggered when I read post number 3 in this thread. I got it off Rennslist. Not from the person who has the screen name caranddriver. Additionally, I didn't participate in auto forums until Feb of 2011. I am not a member of Rennlist. I REMEMBERED reading it in one of those two mags and attempted to reference the report. This was the first reference I found.

Wow. Please read.

If necessary I can dust off my physics, look up the respective densities of the trees mentioned in the report, compute the amount of energy contained in a 1500kg object moving at approximately 80 m/s with an impact area of approximately 50 sq cm on a fixed object (the tree).

And please understand..except in the most dense of materials, there is more 'space' in a 'solid' material than actual material. Additionally, when extreme velocities and energy levels are involved, materials become plastic and as they say, 'almost anything goes'. This is how you end up with 2x4s penetrating trees during hurricanes and/or tornados.

Cheers-mk

Just in case you want to get confused with some facts from an actual magazine article from a trusted magazine, here is a link you should check out. Scroll to the bottom and you will see the result of a high speed crash of an M3 into a tree. Not a 18" tree mind you; just a whimpy little 12" tree that didn't budge while the M3 hit it so hard the M3 broke into 2 pieces.

No please go find a real source for this story from long ago so we can all learn the truth. No more physics lessons please.

BTW, RIP Daniel Portela

http://bmwmag.com/?m=201101&paged=11
Appreciate 0