View Single Post
      04-30-2019, 06:12 AM   #47
David.m
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 LCI 6MT BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcon157 View Post
The dealership couldn't figure it out but agreed since they couldn't EVER get it to close that something wasn't right. They had a regional BMW engineer come and diagnose it. He hooked his equipment up to the car and was able to command the valve closed (once). As soon as he disconnected his equipment the valve popped open and we couldn't get it to shut under any drive mode configuration. He didn't really have an explanation, he just simply claimed with the stock exhaust the difference between a open/closed valve wouldn't be nearly as noticeable as with my Dinan exhaust/Res delete combo, which I can't argue with. He made some notes and said if BMW got enough complaints then they'd allocate some resources to determine a solution. Lets just say I'm not holding my breath...
The open/closing behaviour of the exhaust valve was changed, I think with the LCI onwards. On my car it is open with engine off, idling in all modes and as far as I can make out only closes at higher engine rpm (even in Sport+). At what rpm it closes and why I don't know but it does. Since I pulled the fuse to keep it open full time long spirited drives (sport+) give an even spread of carbon deposits across the 4 tips, with the fuse in the valve side tips were a lot cleaner.
Appreciate 0