SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
You're alone in your assessment, the A048 is fantastic in all my experience (I've had 9 sets for the Exige), and certainly kills street tires when it's warm, easily.

And why the hell are you complaining about the noise of a COMPETITION tire for the street? I mean, creampuff much?
Nope no creampuff here Bucko...Just explaining how crappy the old "medium" compound A048's were.

The set of A048's I ran was way back in 2004 or 2005. I'll bet they have been thru a few compound and construction changes since then. Those early sets heat cycled out fast, got real hard and sucked in the rain.

My review back to Yokohama was " they do everything a little better than street tires, but nothing stands out except the noise. I remember running on them one day at the track and I never gave so many point by's to my fellow instructors. I slid all over the track that day.

I've instructed and driven in several Lotus's and I don't remember any of the owners running on those tires at the track.

Here's a review from another track driver (2103).

Ran a set of medium-hard compound A048's for one season on my track car. Dry use only; no street use.Among the worst DOT-R tires I've ever used. They never had much grip to begin with, and what little grip they did have fell off rapidly after just a few heat cycles. All they do is make a ton of noise and slid around all over the place. I honestly think Hankook R-S3 street tires generate more outright grip than these Yokos. They're that bad.
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0