View Single Post
      11-26-2019, 12:09 PM   #42
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Back from three days running Buttonwillow CCW.

WHAT A BLAST!!!!

As my butt gets more comfy in the driver's seat of the M2 I'm discovering just what a great track car it is.

Finally got the Toyos heat cycled and up to snuff - I've changed my stance on them and am actually quite impressed.

I guess the difference between the last generation and the present tire is quite a bit. They (last generation) never felt this sticky or precise on the R8.

They are a handful when they're cold on a cold, green track, though. I went four wheels off during the opening lap on Saturday morning out of the Sweeper (with my student riding shotgun )

Low pressures (28 psi starting pressure - I was being very lazy and it bit my ass) and temps in the low 40's made for "As you track out you want to be pointed this way (insert loss of front end, slide, hey, let's go off roading!) for the drive down the straight."

She (student) was actually very cool about it - "I'm glad we went full four off, now I know what to do." I narrated what was going on from the moment we started loosing grip until we got back on at the entry to Phil Hill. "Gently throttle off, keep car pointed where you want to go, don't be jerky with the wheel, look up, look ahead, find where it's safe to get back on, etc.."

I guess, in reality, it's an exercise all students need to experience. The instructor behind me said it looked like the car hit ice and just suddenly went drifting off to the right. Was glad to have verification that it wasn't me being stupid, just set up going into the corner incorrectly. (ironic since I helped lay out the cones on Friday night for the weekend sessions)

So back to the car on the track: KILLER!!!

The camber at 2.85 degrees in front and 1.8 rear is perfect. My tire wear and temps across the tread were very consistent - just a couple more degrees of heat in the outer shoulders, which is to be expected - 140-145 was what I measured over the weekend after spirited runs.

I was aiming for 36 psi hot (seems to like it there). The car reports pressures 2 degrees less than my gauge, which is interesting. I trust the gauge more than the car.

Being that Buttonwillow is absolutely smooth other than the bump into Phil Hill and a little dip at the entry to Riverside, I was able to get a feeling for the suspension's areas for improvement.

Front end is a happy thing - it goes where I want, sticks very well, understeers on exit a tad but nothing a small drag of the brakes doesn't correct. Left foot braking really helps here as it's always sitting on the pedal ready to add any needed control input. It's great for that transition from trail braking into the corner to throttle on just before the apex too.

Back end is skittish (as mentioned in a post above). It's just slightly stiff with spring rates and it desperately needs more rebound damping. It rebounds quickly enough that it can get the rear loose and make it a handful - or fun, depending on how you look at it. A little rear drift is fun but not as quick.

A bit more damping control on both ends and a slightly softer rear spring will definitely get rid of the jitters over rough stuff.

Running CCW with Star Mazda, the Bus Stop and Off Ramp I was running 2:10's on Friday (timing provided by a guy I was tucked up with for half a dozen laps, using Harry's - which will NOT load anything for me - always been frustrated with that app) and I'm pretty sure I knocked off at least a second or two as the weekend progressed.

Never had any issues with the DCT. It never once even hinted that it was unhappy with me. The track is mainly run in 3rd and 4th gear. Clicked into 5th a couple of times on the front straight but it's no advantage/disadvantage that I could see. I'd try 2nd gear out of Off Ramp and get too much wheel spin so it was generally 3rd and a bit of a lag in drive - which isn't a bad deal with the way that comes out of the dip and kept the back end happier, a.k.a. behind me. I'll still be putting a DCT cooler on it when Dinan gets them released (they're working on them).

Brakes are great. Yellow Pagids work fantastically. On Friday during the first session the pedal was initially kind of stiff feeling but after the first couple of sessions the throw became a bit softer and longer and had more feeling - an improvement over the initial feeling. Not sure if it was just a fully cold car or if they took a bedding that let them work better. Regardless, no complaints in the braking department at all.

I'm really ready to get my RSR cage in so I can strap myself in nice and tightly and not have to hang on as much as just the three point belt makes you do.

I've found the best way to combat three point movement is to pretension/lock the three point belt: Put seat back about 4", pull belt as tightly as I can across my lap and then lean back in the seat as hard as I can, hold the belt against my shoulder, roll car forward a tad, snap on the brakes to make the belt lock, move seat back to driving position and I'm locked in as well as I can be - and my left collarbone is bruised from the lack of padding (It's a bumpy sucker so... Motocross has been hard on my clavicles as I've broken them, cumulatively, 10 times).

So overall I'm extremely pleased with the track manners of the little M2 Competition. The mods thus far are spot on and I'm looking forward to improving it as I get more seat time.

Will be getting it back on the track in a couple weekends at Wild Horse with PCA on Sunday, Dec 15th. Click here if you're interested in coming out and getting some fun time in.

If you're in the Phoenix area, come play!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 1
Ex_Stig2594.00