09-08-2019, 11:11 PM   #101
bobert
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: manual shift cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Replacing just the taillights, like what the dealer would robotically prescribe would just bring back the problem, in a few months.

The issue is that the sole ground connector pin for each taillight is to thin to carry the all the current the LED setup reasonable require.

BMW obviously underestimated the demands of the supplied ground wire because when it becomes overload, you get that annoying, intermittent rapid-flashing turn signals because the relay is not getting the proper ground and interprets it as there is a open circuit.

Running a parallel, thicker ground wired connection would solve this issue. Replacing the taillights is a waste of time when underlining problem is due to the ground wire overload.

BMW has a SIB for the ground cable on the pre-LCI, I'm pretty sure the LCI would eventually be added, based on the feedback.

A wiretap of an auxiliary ground cable like the photo below, would offset the resistance and fix this issue.
Appreciate the insight - mine has become pervasive lately and is now driving me nuts. I'll finally be addressing it soon since my annual service is due in about four weeks (I wasn't making a special trip to the dealer for it tho it's been a major pest the past month or so).
Poochie9103.00