08-16-2019, 07:44 PM   #1
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Track setup - yeah, I know, another thread

I’ve been reading everything I can find on this forum for getting my new ‘20 M2C track ready.
Now it’s time for some specific info.

First off, and yes this is a total newbie (to BMW) question, exactly what is the chassis designation? F87? Is the 2020 a newer chassis or do accessories from, say 2017-2019, fit appropriately?

I’ve read a couple of threads regarding what to do first and have been impressed and agree with the positions given. Many responses are biased towards a new to the track HPDE driver. I’m on the other end - have tracked for 10 years, raced and am presently a PCA HPDE Instructor. Please, I’m not tooting my own horn here, I’m wanting to be able to get my car set up to my abilities with a realistic approach. My setup will be different from a novice’s.

Suspension:

I’m not of the throwing a bunch of hp into a stock chassis and expecting to go faster mentally. Gotta get the suspension dialed in so it sticks everywhere and gives me a well balanced (with the pedals) car in, through and exiting corners. Can’t put hp down without a well sorted suspension.

It appears that camber plates are one of the biggest additions - I see that there are three main players and get the feeling it’s pick the one that speaks to you (in my case I’m drawn to the Ground Control units.)

My initial butt sensing says the car is sitting on softer rate springs with more preload. This gives a stiffer ride and bump from ride height but gets squirrelly feeling on extension. Is anyone playing with springs and I would guess struts & dampers? Insight here would be appreciated.

A well sprung and damped car can yield a quality street ride and still rock on the track and will be my ultimate goal.

I won’t just go out and start bolting on parts (other than camber plates) until I get to know the chassis in stock form.

Tires and wheels:
Been an OZ Racing/Hoosier fan but it doesn’t appear Hoosier makes tires that fit. I see three other brands mentioned a lot so it obvious one of them would be the route to go.

Not sure about widths and offsets either. I see staggered setups being praised by some, square being praised by others.
What will yield best turn in?

Padgid pads seem to be the go to - what is the most commonly tracked pad?
Do I need brake cooling improvement? I don’t run on an overly taxing track in general (Arizona Motorsports Park).

Just gathering thought and info.
Thanks in advance.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0