01-07-2019, 03:08 PM   #648
Fritzer
No one sleep in Tokyo
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 328i//1995 E34 530i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I have a 114060, it is the current style with the ceramic bezel... I do actually like the larger case as it feels more substantial. I like the style of the older Submariners but the bracelet and clasp is so cheap and flimsy. I like the solid links and adjustable clasp on the newer Sub.

A lot of those details translate directly to the Tudor. It has a larger case but it has a more modern appearance than the Sub - I have the Black Bay with a blue bezel and black dial. I think it looks much more modern than the Rolex Sub while still paying homage to the old Tudor Subs of old.

I'm not a fan of gold on watches... I'd love a Batman GMT but I don't think it's worth the 40% more over a Sub. I also like my no date in that it looks more balanced without the date taking up one side of the dial.
Old case design + glidelock bracelet retrofit is the best in my opinion. I totally get the hefty and substantial feel the maxi-case gives too. It is quite nice. Just very bulky and seems to scream for attention compared to the older ones even though they are nearly the same size. Funny what small design cues can do. It looks great and I have a wrist that can definitely accommodate it but something about the older cases draws me to them. Maybe it's more of an older, classic look.

Even though I really do love what Tudor has been doing with the Black Bay line, the high case irks me a tad. Once the BB58s come down in price premium and the wait lists go away it will be the first on my list to purchase! Or I might hold out and see if they come out with a BB58 without all the gold accents.

+1 for the No Date as well, love that balanced look. Been looking for a mint 14060 made in late 90s but they're hard to come by at a reasonable price. The new Pepsi GMT in steel is cool, but again my preference for old case I'm going to wait until the older ones come down from the ~$10k region. I will probably get a Coke bezel but the Pepsi is just so classic!!