Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
There is a bit of confusion here. We're both saying the same thing but I'm referring to as a "torque-vectoring" because of how it's described in BMW literature and it operates.

The main difference is that Active M diff only transfer torque from slower to faster. The M diff is a basically a typical LSD, say a clutch-type, where the clutches, and therefore amount of lockup, are electronically controlled instead of passively activated based on the difference in speed between the two wheels on an axle, like say on a AWD vehicle or an EV. That means that they can control when and how much to lock up but by different means.

It's basically the same principal of being able to disturbing torque in either direction, via the locking method. Perhaps I should of been a little clearer.

In addition, BMW also states that it also liberally uses the DSC system to distribute torque. Hence my suggestion that it uses the brakes also to bias the distribution.

I did not mean the M2 has only a brake-based torque-distribution like the standard vehicles but more of assistance from the brakes, based on when the computer determines its needed, in addition to the clutch locking diff.
So no basis for this happening on the RWD M models, got it.

Your confusing the 4wd/AWD M models with the RWD M models

And your wrong vis a vis the diff.

From the C&D article "Proper go-fast torque vectoring requires at least one overdrive gear in the differential (though often there are two) capable of spinning the wheels faster than if they were driven through a conventional diff." --> the M Diff does not have this hence not torque vectoring

https://www.caranddriver.com/feature...-test-feature/

and from BMW themselves who say variable LOCK not TORQUE distribution.

"The M Differential distributes the drive torque evenly to both rear wheels and compensates for the rotational speed difference."

https://www.bmw-m.com/en/topics/maga...ferential.html
Well, thanks for clarifying, I get the gist of what M diff does, as in being able to electronically distribute power evenly, as you stated, by locking the diff accordingly.

As oppose to a standard, non-electronic locking diff where percentage of maximum lockup is already predetermined.
Appreciate 0