View Single Post
      07-04-2019, 12:44 AM   #21
toy4speed
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

@Wisco M3: great to share thoughts and ideas with you and others! There are a number of M2 and M2C cars doing pretty well in SCCA autox at a national level. So I am thinking the understeer can be managed. The M2 may not turn as well as a Cayman S, but looking at some autox results, both cars have been fairyly equallly competitive.

I understand your thought on going to 19" in the rear. A 285/35-19 on a stock rear wheel would not only give me another 2 mph top speed in 2nd gear, but also give a bit more forward rake. As long as the forward rake is not excessive, it could possibly decrease understeer. I'm holding off on that option until I fully explore the square 275mm setup.

What tire pressures are you running? Sometimes lowering the front tire pressures will help grip. Yes, the outer tire edges get some crazy wear, but with virtually no negative camber in front, the tire edges are toast soon anyway. After running 275/335 tires on a Corvette, these M2 tires (RE71) seem pretty cheap.

Another thought is to make sure the front bar is not binding at the center mounts, and at rest there is no preload on the bar.

I wouldn't normally run any toe-out in the rear, for a RWD car, but all options will be considered if needed. Normally I like close to zero toe in rear if I am trying to get more rotation in the car otherwise its 1/8" toe -in or so, total.

Sounds like you do pretty well in your M2 as is. I get it, that it needs to "feel" better.

No doubt you run the car with the DSC fully off?
Appreciate 0