View Single Post
      11-27-2019, 04:48 AM   #746
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTWO View Post
Bimmercode is not generic at all. Its made for bmw and only bmw. You’re mixing a few things up. ISTA shows historical codes too which are irrelevant. Bimmercode and bm3 show you currently active stuff so you can deal with it. Maybe that’s why you’re confused.
Historical data is irrelevant??

Historical fault logs are absolutely vital in diagnostics and fault finding. Any sytem that doesn't read historical data is pretty useless. Many faults are intermittent and will clear down automatically, so the historical logs are vital in tracking a sequence of events

In that case, BM3 is more useless than I thought for fault chasing. Bimmercode doesn't do any diagnostics does it? I've never found it if it does?

I'm pretty sure that only ISTA has the FULL suite of BMW codes and diagnostic info available. BM3 etc would have to pay a licence to BMW to use the full proprietary code set, and I don't think they do that - unless someone from PTF can clarify?

Thats the difference between "generic / free / SAE" fault codes and proprietary codes.

ISTA is the only way to really be sure what is going on in your car.

Last edited by doughboy; 11-27-2019 at 04:58 AM..
Appreciate 0