MDM = Must Drive More
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoale View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarageMadness View Post
I'm leaning towards a new 718 Spyder or GT4 with money set aside for gearing. The sweet spot maybe a 718 manual GTS 4.0 as I get the powerplant minus GT3 front end with the convenientent softtop which is more functional than the Spyder's manual top. Plus you can get bucket seats in the GTS 4.0 but man that Spyder is the cats meow.

I'm a bit mad about cars so I'm trying not to got to the 'stealership' and enjoy the cars I already own for the moment. But my ultimate dream car has been a Porsche, so I'm not ruling out a low mileage 911 C4S but could only afford the mid engine platform new.

Need to sit with it for a while and decide which one to pursue based on how I would use the car. That would determine which platform and transmission to select. Thoughts?
You have done some homework, so you are off to a good start. You are setting aside money for gearing, so that tells me you are aware it is too tall. You have picked the models with NA engines, and the 718 steering is better than 981. And I agree the GTS is the sweet spot. Having said that, you are throwing me a bit with the 911 C4S. That drives a LOT different than a lighter, RWD, boxster. After driving both you should end up with a strong preference for one versus the other. Also, although many now feel that the cayman/boxster are better drivers cars than 911s (aside from the GTs), you need to be honest with yourself about whether anything other than a 911 will do.

Sounds like you need to scratch the itch so good luck!
Spyder GT4 is epic in looks and performance. Plus the feel of driving an open top car is amazing. 911 would not be my 1st preference but I wouldn't rule that out after being on the track in one. I just loved the engine and gearing in that plus GT touring and comfort would be a nice plus. But the more I reflect the more the GT4/Spyder/GTs 4.0 call out to me. I can see that being more enjoyable with the balance and price point of the Cayman platform. Thanks for some chiming in. I appreciate it.