02-17-2020, 11:24 AM   #52
Sarg33
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsterino View Post
other than the liability concern about wanting people who haven't driven fast cars before to take it easy, I too am getting frustrated by the topic of whether anything gets unlocked at 1200 miles.

my sales guy is outstanding and open to calling BS on certain things about the sales process / car etc. He too told me the same thing.

What exactly is the hesitation to "believe" this even when there are plenty of sales associates and technicians who say it's true?

I don't care either way, I JUST WANT THE TRUTH (said in a few good men style).

As for the "power" of the car vs V8s...excluding track, I've never driven such a powerful car. From a total speed perspective, in VA at least, you can get into a lot of trouble already in 3rd gear...
I see no reason why a manufacture would program a car with lower power output prior to the break-in period being over. Just extra cost for them and we all know how frugal they are.

I believe it is a myth started yearssss ago and has been handed down from current fast car to current fast car. Most people take it easy on their car until the "break-in period" is over. After that, they take it out and push it to its full potential. They feel there is more power because they are actually flooring the gas and taking it to red line.

Case in point, The rumor when I bought my 2003 Mustang Cobra was the same, but it was said the computer automatically switched over to a different program after the break-in period. Meaning it was restricted until after the break-in and then it was "unleashed" after without even taking it to the dealer to be reflashed. I had my 2003 cobra dynoed bone stock with only 500 miles on it and it pulled 396 hp (ish can't remember the exact number) at the wheels when it was only rated at 400 at the flywheel. It was well known Ford underrated them, just like BMW does.

So IMHO, it is all just a myth and will continue to be carried on. As you said, I would love to have someone show me it was true or false for sure just to end the debate.

Last edited by Sarg33; 02-17-2020 at 03:07 PM..
Appreciate 3
cptobvious2531.50
Conissah1576.00