06-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #164
BMW M Power Mexico
First Lieutenant
Mexico
Rep
Drives: E60M5,E821M,F15X5V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbjjj View Post
This discussion has been pretty fascinating, and I think it's healthy as long as everyone can remember to respect each other's view even if those views do not agree with yours.

I hope to bring another perspective into this discussion. and that is the image and expectation that comes with a brand like BMW. BMW has worked hard for so long to build up their image and to have "BMW" brand to signify the Bavarian pride. So munch advertising dollar has gone into building up "German Engineering" concept, image and everything that goes with it. There is a large number of long-time BMW fans here, and all of us have been "trained" to associate BMW as German born and German made premium driving machines whenever we see the BMW roundel. BMW museum continues to educate and reinforce the company's history in building amazing cars in Germany.

Now here BMW is announcing to start building their bread and butter car, the 3 series, for North American markets in countries that are not known for building well known premium cars like BMW 3 series. This will be hard to hear, but there immediately is a conflict with the expectation and image in people's mind. I am not sure if "prejudice" is the right term, but sure, let's go with that. All brands build up image in people's mind, and that image comes with certain expectations and prejudice. Therefore, people's strong reaction today is definitely expected and understandable because we have been trained to have certain expectation and "prejudice" when looking at the BMW roundel. BMW's image and expectation also contributed to people's strong reaction when they heard BMW wanted to build their first SUV (X5), or when BMW wanted to build their first FWD car, the current F48 X1 and 2 series gran tourer.

Therefore, for this discussion, it will take some time for people to get used to and accept Mexico-made 3-series given how people think of BMW for decades, and some may never accept it and move on to other brands. It can be hard to hear and not to take it as a personal attack for people who take pride in Mexico, but with a brand with such successful and strong image, it will take time and much effort to change how people perception and expectation. Remember how much time and how much effort Audi had to put in to shed the bad image from problem=prone Audi cars in the 1980s. It literally took them over a decade of effort including renaming their cars from numeric alone to the "A" cars. It is definitely possible for countries like Mexico and China to build world-class, reliable cars that are worthy BMW's name, but it will require time and much effort to modify the image and expectation (or prejudice) that comes with BMW roundel.
Agreed. It'll take time to change people minds. Others have done it before successfully. Japan of course and now Korea.

And a small part of initiating that change in peoples minds are these kinds of discussions.

I'd go as far as saying that Mexico has already mostly done it (for non-premium brands) - I see mostly no complaints from Fusion, Beetle, Golf, Jetta, Fiat, etc etc etc buyers (at leats not regarding country of manufacture). With all 3 big German premium brands building here in the very near future I am confident that we will succeed as well on this new level.

The "never will change my mind" people, those are the ones that drive me crazy. But I guess that's true on all processes of change.
Appreciate 0