View Single Post
      10-27-2015, 08:22 AM   #56
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDR MFS View Post
So ventured to the local dealer and luckily fell in with an enthusiast CA. Explained everything and before I knew it we had keys to a 6MT F80 and a M235i.

Test drove the two first and loved the tight, nimble nature of the car. The N55 scooted the car around perfectly and definitely fit the character of the car. Taking some curvaceous roads was a joy and it was definitely something to marvel at.

However it is definitely small. I know this but it really is small in person which leads me to the back seat and trunk. If I was looking again three years ago when I got my 335is, and could find a 135is, I would have purchased that car then. I could only see back seat riders tolerating the space for a quick pick up and drop off. The cargo space was ample for the car but definitely not suited for needs (military gear, road trips for the more than two people, golf clubs, blah blah blah). While not a deal breaker, the greenhouse felt a little tight too.

On to the F80 which felt much more burly and was definitely a lot of car. Having driven it before in the DCT, I was surprised at how much I liked the 6MT. I loved the feel, visibility and interior layout. Did the back seat test as I did in the two, and it definitely is more room as one would expect. Four doors, split seats and larger boot mean I wouldn't have to play car swap with my wife when family or road trip needs arose.

And while the three has put on size, I still love the feel and the responsiveness that I recall falling for at the PC M school. The looks are menacing and the design practical.

So, I left my name, configured my build and come December, will be allocated for a F80 pending we can get the numbers to work.

I definitely do not feel like I am compromising and my wife is happy either way in that we get something I want and that fits our needs. Brute power, BMW handling, classic sports car styling options (18 and carbon cloth) and daily utility all create for the perfect BMW experience. Can run the errands during the weekday and shred the track on the weekend.

Tough decision but you can't lose with either car. Granted I took out the M235i, but if it was that fun, I can only imagine pure M experience.

Test drive what you can and see them in person as was mentioned. Fully throttled knowing I will have a F80 in the next five months.
Big congrats! I agree with everything you say. I still have about a year to go before I can order the M3 if I went that route. You really can't go wrong with either the M2 or M3/4, just have to decide what works for you.

I just think the F80 works better for me with what I have. I drove the E36 to work and I REALLY don't want to let this thing go for an M2.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0