Garage List
2008 BMW M5  [0.00]
2017 BMW i3  [0.00]
2005 BMW M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2001 BMW M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
Guess that's your next vehicle.

Seriously what model BMW F30? What brake package?

BTW, had to look up Suburban.... do you guys really drive those monstrous things?
I own a suburban. I don't use it as a car-- I use it when I need to tow something or transport more than 4 people or drive through deep snow. I haven't driven it all year-- in fact, I'm pretty sure it still has studded snow tires mounted on it from last winter.

Nothing is better than a suburban tasks. Happily I almost never have to do suburban tasks anymore, since I sold the race car

Quote:
Originally Posted by pz619 View Post
Couldn't find that reference, but did find this. Bold emphasis is mine.

"This time around, our test car’s demerits accumulated in other performance categories. The skidpad score, for example, came in at 0.86 g, versus 0.89 in 2013. More lamentable—make that dismal—was this car’s braking distance: 186 feet from 70 mph. There was never a trace of fade, but that’s 22 feet longer than our 2013 test car’s performance. However, we think these grip and braking stats can be easily improved. Simply discard the all-season run-flat tires—in this case Pirelli Cinturato P7, size 225/45-18—and substitute some real performance rubber. "
Cars are designed around the performance characteristics of the tires they ship with. Changing the tire absolutely would improve the stopping distances, but you'd no longer have a car properly calibrated for its tires.

... and run flats aren't so easy to discard, now that BMW no longer has spare tire wells on their cars... though I do agree they are ruinous

Combining those two points, when I first got our e91 I had to get rid of the runflats because they were godawful (like all runflats). Upon doing so, the car immediately felt like it was body on frame, with worn our bushings.... aka really, really bad. This feeling persisted till I went to M3 subframe bushings and converted the front control arms to M3 parts.

(e91 ended up being too new for me, a step too far gone. Far happier with the e46 M3 wagon that replaced it, with full size spare :P)

2005 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Wagon, 2001 M5 Sedan, 2008 M5 6MT Sedan, 2012 128i M sport
Appreciate 0