View Single Post
      02-21-2020, 12:36 PM   #1
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Has anyone with an M2C had their brake pads seize to the rotors from road salt?

I live in the Pacific Northwest, so the winters are pretty mild, but wet. I have winter tires on my car and drive it daily. I don't have a garage to store her in though unfortunately.

A couple of weeks ago, we got some snow and they had salted the roads. After driving, I parked the car, and ended up not driving it for like 5 days. When I went to drive off, the car would not budge! The front brake pads had seized onto the rotors!

It was like having a line lock kit - I actually sat there spinning my rear tires a bit and the car would not budge. After trying that a few times, it broke loose finally, but upon braking, it was vibrating like crazy (you could feel it in the car, even as a passenger).

I took it in to the dealer, and was surprised to hear that is not considered a defect of any kind, and pretty much nothing with the M2 brakes is covered under warranty. My car only has 10,000 miles on it. I can understand if they think you have been taking the car to the track, or it is a wear and tear issue, that it would not be warrantied. But how can they claim it's normal what had happened?

I wonder how anyone else who parks their car outside in the rest of Canada which sees salt all winter or in the Northern parts of the US deals with this issue? I've not found any others who have experienced this.

So I decided to try to bed them in again, and did 10 hard stops from 60 to 10 MPH, cooled down, then repeated, and fortunately most of the vibration is gone, but it is still there a little bit on the highway.

Here's pictures of the front rotors now. Is the leftover rust going to eventually go away do you think? Will it cause issues down the road? Should I try to maybe sand it off myself, and if so, using which grit?

Attached Images

Appreciate 0