Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmboone25
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABPReader View Post
The links seem to be dead...

Yes, that's why I called it a super N55. We all know closed deck, forged crank, S55 parts, ...
Some bimmerpost members are driving 500whp+ N55s, what is your source about the max power for a standard N55 ?

I hope for m2 owners that their turbo will allow them to put more horses But I find strange that companies can know how much they can gain without any tests. Do some american tuners give numbers at this moment ?
Like I said, Dackel had a thread on it a while back - a German company made a souped up 235 before the M2 was confirmed - the conclusion after the engine tear down was that 360 was the max the engine could make reliably.

Can you tune it up higher? Sure - but at the cost of longevity.

The N55 ain't the N54....which had forged internals and could make substantially more power without upgrading those same internals.
I'm no engineer but this is so far from the truth. First of all the n54 does NOT have forged internals, Just the crank. Anyone stating that the n54 is leaps and bounds stronger than the n55 is just spewing hearsay at this point. The flash tuning limitations are what's really holding the n55 down. False knock and fueling etc.

Furthermore, 360 crank max? That's even low for DINAN. The most conservative BMW tuner on earth. They wouldn't be offering 130hp Deltas if that was the case.
Appreciate 2