08-05-2015, 05:44 PM   #59
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
OK, I stand corrected. I remember the E92 M3s didn't come out of allocation for ED orders near the end of its lifecycle (nor the F10 M5 near the beginning of its), but apparently BMW isn't so generous now that the economy is better. So we're probably looking at more like $500/month for an M2 ED lease.
I don't profess to know about whether they come out of allocation or not... but now actually BMW USA has a Euro Delivery web page

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Default.aspx

Click on Order your BMW and it brings up the US MSRP and US ED MSRP.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...erYourBMW.aspx

the discount IIRC is 7% off the US MSRP purchase price. In certain situations, one may be able to negotiate lower than the ED MSRP at a dealer... particularly if the model run is ending or you are a big hitter with the dealer..

Ok... first off... you can quit that ED invoice+$500 mess right now.... because but I wouldn't expect a deal on an M2 until awhile into the model run... people have been waiting for this car for 4 years... and while others sit and scoff.. cars will get snatched up. You want to pay 5% over ED invoice... you should STRONGLY consider an M3/M4 or have a parent that owns a dealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyperzulu View Post
. M2 will be in much fewer supply and likely have demand heavily outweigh production for a while if not for always. BMW can and does make more M3s and M4s than they plan on making of M2s. And all 3 and 4 series cars lease better than 2 series. They would also get bigger incentive bumps.

So yes, an M3 sure. The M2 I just don't see it. The reality is made up of more than simple math.

I agree... BMW NA and BMW AG would really prefer you buy a 3/4 series model.. so they can keep the luxury compact sedan sales crown.... This means that the lease rates on pretty much and any all 3 and 4 series models are likely to be much more favorable than the rates for 2 series models. As with the 1M... it will likely be considered a new model with no history as there has not been a previous 2 series M model. I have never leased a car and I don't know a lot about leasing but I would expect crappy residual values on a " new model vehicle" and I am sure any actuary would throw out an 1M data... I mean come on... 4 years later it's at 100 percent residual....

The fact that the M2 will be considered all new will be good in some ways... 1M insurance rates tended to be what most owners considered very low if not very favorable for a car with it's performance characteristics.... for example vs. Camaro here right? Athough the 1M and the M2 are nearly identical... don't expect the insurance industry to make that conceptual leap... Ask me how I know...

Bottom line that I can recall is that Lease rates for the 1M were EXTREMELY UNFAVORABLE.

Let's give you some * real world * numbers on the 1M.

Typical lease payments were well into the $800 range.. Very few buyers leased the car because purchase options were simply THAT much better. I would hazard that most people that leased likely were doing so due to a company paid lease payment. For anyone spending their own money.. It was very well known in the forums at the time how horrible the lease rates were, and many people bitched that they had waited for the 1M and now they were going to go get a deal on an M3.... (FUCK OFF AND BUY AN E90! )

I just looked at the ED price for an M3 sedan... it's $57.7K vs 59.7K for an M4.. .... so once again... this price likely will be lower than a top of the line loaded M2. If one can still get 2015 lease rates.. Picky M2 buyers take note... now is a great time to get an M3/M4!

However for the dedicated 1M buyer.. It was easy to beat the lease payments by going with a long term loan... for example.. 72 or 84 months.

I tend to go for the longest loan terms possible... so I have the lowest minimum payment... and then I nearly always pay the loan off at a quicker rate. In my case.. I worked my payment down to $607 a month for a 1M ED purchase with literally zero down and all TTL included on a car with a few minor mods.

Many car buyers blanch at such long loan terms... however loan rates were low at the time ( 1.99 percent was an extremely common rate at penfed and navy fed and other credit unions...) and if you could afford the car... likely you didn't pay more than 2.99% which is a pittance to pay for financing. I believe the rates are STILL low...

Wow am I good... check what I found.. in the 1M forums of course...

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...=lease+payment

I am so happy I purchased it this way..... oddly... after 4 years I have 30K miles. That owner would have had to turn the car in after 3 years with a 30 K residual and paid $240 a month more than I am... Pretty sure my 1M was worth nearly double that residual lol sometime least year..

Ok... Finally. nothing personal... but. I have to simply LAUGH and I mean ROFL laugh at one comment you made....

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_phew View Post
I'm still not convinced that the M2 will be a particularly involving drive, though..
Are you kidding... ?? please name the first BMW full on BMW M car (sorry... M235 etc doesn't count) that is not a particularly involving drive...

If your budget is $450... it's time to go Camaro shopping.... or even F80 M3 shopping with all those credits.. but if the M2 tracks like the 1M did.. and in the leasing world...why would it not, as a completely new model.... even if the M2 base price holds the line I can pretty much tell you now that you won't be near a $500 payment on an M2 without making a sizable down payment. If you want the best WAG available, check out the lease terms on a loaded M235 via ED as a range finder ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I guess it depends which BMW you are talking about. With the entire lineup minus the 2 Series, I agree. They're more of a hybrid of other brands than true BMW's IMHO.

The 2 series on the other hand, is exactly what BMW has been good at doing. The M2 even more so.

I just have no interest in pony cars. They're all just far too big. I already have an E92 M3, and that already feels like a GT car. I will admit that they do have a lot of personality and charm (not to mention value for money), but it's just not quite what I'm looking for.

My daughter wants a 2007 Pony Mustang.... She currently has an E46 convertible.... hers is a 2001 and I suggested a low mile 2006 car I found but she's all googly eyes for muscle cars... kills me! She has no clue how much better a car the BMW is...

By the way... the E9x is a GT car... and of course the M3 is the EXACT car that FORD targeted with the last generation mustang.. Ford even made a frikkin' video about it..

Brought you in here as last food for thought on a possible F80M3... the phew is right.... one can probably make a sweet deal on an F80 M3 soon.. last chance.....! or go bust on M2 .... I know you've already got your mind made up....

Last edited by M3 Adjuster; 08-05-2015 at 08:00 PM..
Appreciate 0