Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_rick View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosely View Post
If I don't have carplay on my 2018 but want it, how does that work now?
I'd like to know similar for my late 2016 car. Although, I'd also like to know about this from an Android Auto perspective. I just want to mirror my phone on the car hardware, I'm not paying for a Sim or car specific thing.

Hell, I managed to buy a head unit for my last car (a 2009 Lotus Evora) which gave me full capability.

I have a 2016 also so no CarPlay and I'm actually grateful it's not there.

I really had given CarPlay an objective chance in the M340i and I wanted to love it but the APP is so unreliable; it constantly drops in and out connections, sometimes just doesn't load, on startup and doesn't allow for any privacy when you receive a text message.

Other than have the ability to mirror Waze, I see very little value in it, especially since the vehicle iDrive interface is already so intuitive to use.

The believe the craze with CarPlay is that it looks similar to an iPhone screen, in theory but in practice, it's no where as interactive.

I disable it when I hop into any vehicle with CarPlay. It's not the end of world not having it up.

However, if you're a glutton for punishment and still want it, there are a few companies that sell retrofit modules to add CarPlay to iD4 EVO units.
Appreciate 0