07-24-2020, 10:01 AM   #16
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
I’ve never liked the seat height of the OE seats either. While my helmet clears the roof, it feels like I’m sitting quite high. The arm rest is an interesting point. I’ll need to think about this. There’s a thread somewhere on this forum about rebuilding the center armrest with a thinner lid. Might have to refer to that very soon.

I’ve had enough of the stock seats, so I just picked up some Recaro Speed V seats, sliders and floor mounts. Will be installing this weekend. I’ll try to get some measurements. I’m thinking seat bottom to roof will be the most straightforward way to measure the difference, but I’m open to suggestions.

I track the M2 around 20-25 days per year and found the OE seats lacked lateral support, and the leather too slick. Fixed buckets were out, despite the higher likelihood of allowing a lower seating position. I drive as far as 1,000 miles each way to track days and the thought of a bucket for these trips was not appealing at all. Also, I carry my track wheels in the back for these longer trips and didn’t wand to wrestle them out with a fixed back seat in the way. Sportster shoulder harness pass through were too low for my shoulder height (future proofing in case I add a roll bar and tire trailer later).

I’ll post seat height results tomorrow.
Any trouble with an airbag error light from the passenger seat being removed? I'm assuming the Recaros don't have an OEM-type weight sensor for the front passenger dash airbag. I had fits with this issue when I put OMP racing seats in my 911 a few years ago. The dealer wouldn't code out the airbag error light due to legal/liability concerns, and no local indy shop had the ultra-expensive Porsche factory computer to do the coding.
bentom2335.50