View Single Post
      12-23-2021, 03:33 AM   #1
Iamlemon
Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: Now: Aston DBX, BMW M2C

Development On Titanium Alcantara Rear Seat Delete Kit

Hello guys and gals, my name is Victor and I am developing a rear seat delete kit for my M2 Competition. My process for developing it began when the only rear seat delete kit I could find was either grossly overpriced ($4-6 thousand USD) or made of flimsy plastic that bent instead of supporting the car. I wanted a kit that kept the rigidity of the car, was lightweight, all while blending into the interior, and even adding an OEM+ look to it.
That said, I have made some decent progress on the kit. The models for the metal underlying sheets have been measured and 3D scaled. This took about 2-3 months to do because of the complexity of the sheeting required. The sheets not only have to curve around a variety of surfaces, but also have the best fitment when at an incline. For example, the "flat" bottom sheet connects to the front at a lower elevation than it does at the rear, introducing a third dimension that I had to work with.
I have also completed a pressure test using a hydraulic press on a pair of scratched-up rear seats I found on eBay. This destroyed the seats but allowed me to figure out what pressures they were designed to handle. I compared the eBay OG M2 seat to mine and found that the Comp seats are the same, which indicates that the kit would work on an OG M2 as well. Given the information, I went to a machine shop to ask for suggestions on the metals I should use. I ended up deciding on titanium as a lightweight, rigid, and strong material that would be optimal for my application. I have sent over the models I had built last Monday (12/20/21) for them to see if there would be any problems with creating the sheets in-shop.
I have sourced the materials codes that BMW uses on their Alcantara as well as their orange and blue stitching. I plan to wrap the titanium sheets in stitched Alcantara to match the door panels the M2C comes OEM with. Heat treating the titanium is also an option for a different look, however, I do not think I will personally head down this route. I have subsequently found sellers for the fabric and stitching that will be required and will purchase the required parts as soon as I know the models work with the shop.
I plan to first implement this kit into my car and then possibly make a few more if there is interest in it. My Instagram is @8mpg4me if you want to see videos and images on the process through my stories firsthand as the project develops. There is plenty left to do though, and below you will find an updating list/roadmap of what has been completed and what remains.

List:

- Remove backseats (Complete)
- Purchase backseats for pressure testing (Complete 11/13/21)
- Create a physical model for metal plates (Complete)
- Pressure test rear seats (Complete)
- Create a 3D model of metal plates (Complete)
- Choose metal material (Complete - titanium chosen)
- Source codes for fabrics and find seller (Complete)
- Verify 2D sheets/corners are able to be cut by a fabricator (Complete 1/19/22)
- Find out the required thickness of titanium sheets based on pressure requirements (Complete 2/03/22)
- Figure out link/connection to be used for bolt-in of kit to the car (Complete 2/04/22)
- Verify 3D sheets/corners are able to be cut by a fabricator (Complete 2/05/22)
- Begin titanium sheet manufacturing (In Progress!)
- Apply rubber gloves to corners and connection parts
- Order fabrics and fabric glue
- Stitch fabrics as needed/desired
- Wrap titanium sheets in stitched Alcantara
- Install

As the process continues steps may be taken out or more steps may be added.

For those wondering why I am doing this project from an objective point of view: Weight reduction, lower center of mass, more trunk space, more front storage space, and actually MPG. The car MPG has raised significantly with a lightweight exhaust, lighter wheels, and no rear seats. Last week I made the trip from LA to SF on the I5 and averaged 27.6 MPG running on the stock tune and cruise control set to 69 MPH (nice). The removed rear seats weigh a total of 67.5 lbs (roughly 2% of the weight of the car). From a non-objective point of view, I think a nicely made rear seat delete looks awesome. Let me know if you have any questions/concerns or even suggestions. Constructive criticism is welcome. Again, the kit is primarily for me but I am happy to make a few for those who like the finished product on my car.

Last edited by Iamlemon; 02-05-2022 at 04:56 PM..
Appreciate 3
F87source7272.50
jdubm2c169.00
Got f1?681.00