View Single Post
      05-10-2016, 08:36 PM   #51
sygazelle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 328i M-Sport, 2019 X5 40i

At the very end of the source where you got your definition of industrial espionage is the following sentence: Industrial espionage is distinct from competitive intelligence (CI), which is confined to the gathering of publicly available information.

What is happening in the photos you are showing in your post is competitive intelligence. CI is alive and well in every trade show on the planet in every industry. When I sent my team to trade shows, our job was to learn what we can about the competition as long as it is legal. Our job also was to vet anyone coming into our booth to learn about what what we were doing and to be careful what we share. This is just business. Any company who is not gleaning legal, public information about its competition is not doing their job, period.

The cars are available on public display in a public forum. If a car company doesn't what to bring a car to be picked over by the competition then they should leave it home.

A car show could make rules about photographs, time in car, rulers, etc. My guess is no car company would agree because they want their teams to be able to do the same thing.
Appreciate 0