02-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #12
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritt@essex View Post
You mean a few hard stops without heating up the brakes by back to back stops? Or to scrape them via one of the two solutions below?

I would focus on the solution below to clean the discs since you don't have any race pads on hand.

How do you find out where the high spots are to just scrub those? Would it be where there's still rust? Or are those low spots?

From everything you've written it sounds like the high spots are where the rusty pad imprints are, assuming you can still see them. If there are rusty spots, then yes, that is likely the pad material.

The rotor in the upper picture has improved over the last few days, but the bottom one still has that 1/2 inch strip of heavy rust... Just like in your video at the 2 minute mark. Which is odd, because it's where the brake pad touches yet it's not improved at all. I see that went away in your case, I wonder if it will just take more time.

It could just take a bit more time. In my case it took a second attempt the next day to get the whole disc clean. One other possible solution would be to flip the inner and outer pad on the side with the stubborn rust mark (or take a pad from the other side of the car and put it on the disc face with the mark). When you run a pad on a disc like you have, the two surfaces conform to each other. The disc wears a little, and the pad does as well. That's the point of bedding...mating those two surfaces together evenly and laying down a pad layer. A different pad will have a different shape to its face that will likely not match the face of that disc. That imperfect mating will potentially have a better chance at scrubbing the disc face vs. the ones that are already mated together.

Was just concerned that if it remains, it will cause uneven brake rotor wear and become a high spot...

Yes, you want to try and get it cleaned off now rather than later. Eventually it could become more permanent if not addressed.

PS. Instead of that pad, can I use sandpaper? What grit?

You don't want anything too abrasive..something like a 220 fine would be reasonable.
Much appreciated answering all my questions.
Appreciate 1