Thread: Fix rim damage
View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 10:56 AM   #56
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Through the course of my ownership, I ended with an entire set of damaged 437m wheels. One because I tried spinning the rear out a bit too aggressively in the rain and hit a curb with the front wheel. Both passenger sides from someone sideswiping and fish-tailing me. And the other rear, I don't remember how it happened. The damage was relatively minor on most of the wheels, but I went ahead and got all 4 repaired so they'd all match.

I took them to my local dealer and he sent them out somewhere. I got them back in a little over a week. It cost me $952 for all four. Which I thought was a bit expensive. I was expecting to pay $400-500. But I can't tell at all where the damage was on even the most damaged wheel. Like, there was seriously deep damage in the wheel I hit the curb with.

They definitely don't match the OEM wheels. The tint on the refinished ones is a little darker. And the clearcoat is on thicker and they are glossier. Also, they didn't paint/clearcoat the outer barrels, so they are just bare metal. Had my winter tires mounted to them today and all the wheel weights are consistent. Meaning the most damaged wheel that was repaired isn't out of natural balance and requiring more weights than the other wheels.

But overall, I'm glad I did all 4. Even though the damage was minor on some wheels. Just so I have a set that all matches.

At that price though, I don't know. It may be better find a used set of wheels. Piece together the good ones to complete a set, then refinish and resell the damaged ones. Haven't ran the numbers.
Appreciate 1
JMAC5150129.50