Drives: '20 M2C, '10 535ixT, '91 M5

Garage List
2023 X5 45e  [0.00]
2015 LR4 HSE Lux + HD  [0.00]
1965 Shelby Cobra 4 ...  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
1991 M5  [0.00]
2010 535ixT  [0.00]
550 miles in to Euro Delivery....loud knocking from motor that corresponds to RPM

OTP holding for roadside assistance at the moment....halfway through our ED vacation. Car will likely get towed to Renocar in Prague where we just arrived for a two day stay.

As we rolled in to Prague from our stay in Hallstatt/Salzburg/Vienna, we started hearing a knocking sound that is more than injectors and lifters makes. Increases/decreases with engine rpm. Loudness increases under load/unload. Absolutely no fluids leaking or errors in check control or on cluster. Crazy!

Anyone experience this and if so, what was the issue?

This trip is with my wife so I've had it in sport+ for a total of 3 miles so far.....there is a time and a place for that stuff and this trip is not it. Max rpm 5k and Max speed roughly 105 for a total of 4 overtakes on highways so far.....

I had planned 4 laps during tf on Sept 4 but that's probably out the window now.

Update Sept 1 9pm Prague time:
Heading back to Cartec BMW in Prague Monday morning at 7am to hopefully coordinate BMWNA/EuroDelivery (I hope someone is there on Labor Day), BMW Welt, and Cartec service (hopefully someone speaks English there as I certainly do not know Czech!)

I'll take some comprehensive videos and post them in case this eventually helps someone else out in the future.

Update Sept 2 11:45am Prague time:
Cartec BMW service writer spoke very good English and was very helpful. they started the car and the knocking noise startled them. Tech put it up on a lift and inspected underside - all clear. Tech assumed the noise was bottom of motor and that it was mechanical and not good. I'm hoping they can pull the oil filter housing cap and inspect for any metal shavings. I'll post a video and a couple of pics when I have a chance to upload to youtube.

I've called BMW Welt three times since they opened today. They seem to be aware of my situation but I am not hearing back from them with any solutions or further instructions. 7 hours ahead of Chicago time so no one is at the local dealer yet. BMWNA/BMW Euro Delivery is probably out for today since it is Labor Day.

This certainly has not totally ruined our ability to enjoy our vacation....yet....but I've now spent 10+ hours trying to contact the appropriate people between Europe roadside assistance, US roadside assistance, Chicagoland dealer, BMWNA, BMW Munich, and the local dealer here in Prague. Starting to get annoyed.

Last edited by Cannondale900; 09-04-2019 at 07:20 AM.. Reason: combining all information in main post + short video
Appreciate 0