View Single Post
      07-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #83
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

[QUOTE=gmzanatta;20291418]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonheaddinG View Post
Well another recall bulleting went out last night, so there will be more cars affected.
Mine was not on the list I posted but is on the new list issued last night.
I already heard many times (30 times or so in 7000 kms) some strange grinding noise coming from the back underneath.

It's a screeching metallic sound of some metal part rubbing against another metallic part for more than an instant. A kind of metallic rambling (or some rambling inside a metallic box) for a few moments (a second or so) rather than just some brief clunk. Happens at random, sometimes twice right after each other. Mostly when the car is not under load (for example cruising at slow speed or after coming out of a turn). It sounds as if some part moves in a controlled way from one side to another (opening or closing of a part) but with an awful rambling noise. Always exactly the same sound. I even got used to it ("Oh, here it goes again"). As far as I experienced, no impact on the driving itself.

Very weird. Never heard that on any ///M car I ever drove. And no, it ain't the opening/closing of the butterfly valve of the M Performance Exhaust (totally different sound) nor the notorious 'cow bell sound' phenomenon caused by pebbles that got inside the brake system. I suspect the diff performing weird stuff.

I told my dealer. He reported it to BMW. He saw in the system a notice about (normal) screechy sounds at slow speed during break-in: bedding in of the brakes during the first 500km. Definitely something else.

My car is an early April 2016 build.