01-18-2011, 09:06 PM   #44
Jblack4083
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB

Quote:
Originally Posted by WULFFZA View Post
Those are good numbers, damn. Given BMWs history in producing engines with smooth and linear power delivery with good economy, I'd say this engine is about to set the bar against recent 4cylinder turbo competitors when all factors are taken into account.

Yes the Sonata engine makes 274HP, but every article I have read says its gritty and unrefined. Yes the S2000 made about the same power 10yrs ago but you had to keep it below 3rd gear to get any accelaration at all, terrible engine.

And to think it puts out about the same power and more torque than my 4.0 V6 4Runner when new, an engine that was new in 2003 and has variable valve timing, geez thats progress.

I can grow to like turbo cars... as long as long as the turbo is as durable as the rest of the engine and the power delivery is smooth and linear and....it sounds good, I think thats the biggest challenge, and its subjective.

Now if they would get realistic about the badging... 28i, seriously? whats the point? Who are they trying to impress. I like that the other manufacturers factually state "2.0T".

Why is Audi so honest in its capacity badging, while Merc and BMW continue to play the "Mine is bigger" game.
From a marketing standpoint, consumers are dumb. I assume they are looking to retain the same pricpoint for the 28i cars that will have this engine. Changing the badge from 28i to 20i will not sit well with dumb consumers who think they are getting less car for the same money. Additionally, as we've seen in the past the badging doesn't necessarily have to be consistent with the displacement; examples: 28i = 3.0L, 50i = 4.8L, etc. I don't see the problem with retaining the 28i badge.
Appreciate 0